Friday, October 22, 2010

The French have a phrase for it: "Métro, boulot, dodo"

Some weeks I have no life. This has been one of them. Each day I was up at 04.30, in work by 06.00 home by 20.00 in bed by 23.00. No matter how rewarding the work is, this is no way to live.

My current assignment is with a French speaking company. This morning one of the managers took one look at my haggard face and said, "You have had a week of Métro, boulot, dodo, unh?"

This is a piece of French slang that roughly means "Subway, Work, Sleep"

Like the rest of us, the French are being pushed into longer hours. It pleases me that they continue to see this as an abberation to be regretted rather than an achievement to be proud of.

There has to be more to life than "Métro, boulot, dodo".

So, this weekend I am reclaiming my life. My wife and I will stay in a good hotel on Lac Léman on Saturday and go to the Christophe Mae concert in Geneva.

Sunday morning will be leisurely, with someone else preparing breakfast and nothing on the agenda but spending time together.

The French have a phrase for that too: "Trouver votre bonheur" - to find your happiness.

Of course, it is easier to find something when you make the time to look for it.

No comments: